Thursday, January 4, 2018

Talking 'Bout Contracts

A lot of people have been asking about my contract with World Weaver Press for Jack Jetstark's Intergalactic FreakShow, so let's talk about contracts.

Is my contract the absolute best I could hope for? No. It's a small press and obviously I'm not getting a multimillion dollar advance and a movie deal. I'm actually not getting an advance at all, and my book will probably not be in many - if any - brick and mortar stores. I am not getting rich or famous from this book.

So what makes it a good contract? It fulfills the Big Three:

1. I get paid. Specifically, 39% of net profit. That means what I make is dependent on what they sell, but I am getting paid.

2. I don't have to pay anything. I'm not obligated to buy copies or pay for any part of the publication process.

3. I retain my rights. That means I own my story and my characters - if they decide not to renew when the contract is up in 5 years, I can publish it again and write sequels and generally do whatever I want. I'm not selling the story - just the right to publish it.

 

Also, one advantage to a small press is that I retain control over so much of my story. No one can change anything - except typos and the like - without my consent, and I'm going to have at least some say in the cover.

It's super important that you never sign anything you don't fully understand. A lawyer is nice, but asking for clarification (a simple question like "I think this clause means x; am I right?") is good, too. You've poured your heart into this book - don't lose it because of a silly misunderstanding.

 

I'm so excited by this whole process. I just sent in my latest round of edits (the eighth draft, by my count)!

No comments:

Post a Comment