Wednesday, July 1, 2020

No Collision

Hey, you know how my stories tend to be cute little adventures about gay people being autistic and quoting Jurassic Park, but I don't really deal with politics in my stories other than, like, my extremely accurate and yet somehow controversial stance that velociraptors had feathers?

Yeah, no, this is not one of those stories. This one is political. Not political like "these extraterrestrial characters are an allegory about a group of people currently having the rights taken away."

Political like "the president is an absolute asshole and I wrote a story to satirize the last four years."

Politics are a touchy subject. And also, it's a super duper real world subject and I don't have time for that nonsense. Real world. Psh :-)

I'm happy to let my beliefs influence my stories while not becoming the stories. Usually.

Look. I have friends and family who are Republicans. I know people who voted for the circus peanut in chief. They are not bad people. But to call the current administration a dumpster fire is an insult to dumpster fires and I'm okay with letting my art piss off a few people.

No Collision, featured in Shout: An Anthology Of Resistance Poetry And Short Fiction, is not about a collision between a Russian and 'Merican spaceship, because there was no collision. Nope. Absolutely not.

It's about people who don't fit the ideal 'Merican mold, trying to uncover and shed light on a conspiracy, and I am really proud of this story because when I write? Sometimes it's good and sometimes it has a good message and sometimes it's funny, but I almost never do that on purpose. This time, though. I wanted it to be funny, I wanted it to be satire, I wanted it to mean something.

I don't know if it's good, but if it is, it was actually on purpose this time.

One reviewer said my story has "sharp and humorous wit, which is served unerringly with a light and precise hand, and never overdone."

A portion of every sale is donated to the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, and Raices: Texas, so what are you waiting for?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1948120453/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

No comments:

Post a Comment