Sunday, October 25, 2020

Will-o-the-Walmart

(I wrote this blog post months ago and totally forgot to publish it. Good job, past Jen.)

Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got till it's gone?

Yes, I'm quoting Big Yellow Taxi for a reason. It's because my story Will-o-the-Walmart has been published in Triangulation: Extinction.

My story takes place in a world without nature, although it isn't about that. And it features a sad little nature spirit alone in the world, although… it isn’t really about that, either.

It's about two queer girls trying desperately to fall back in love.

It's a metaphor. And like any good metaphor*, the narrator explicitly points out to you it is a metaphor.

*At least if you're me.

Fun facts about this story!

* it refers to Thomas Edison as He Who Must Not Be Named, and I totally forgot to edit that out when I submitted it but they liked it anyway

* because it is based on Big Yellow Taxi, I listened to that song for like three days in a row. And then my friend, who I joke about having a psychic connection with, told me he had had the song stuck in his head for days

* This is my second story in a Triangulation anthology. Seven Sisters is available in Dark Skies.

So come on. Follow that little light into the darkness, let it lead you on an adventure between the pages of Extinction.



No comments:

Post a Comment