Saturday, August 19, 2023

Welcome Mat, Five Stars

 I am very proud to announce that my new story "Welcome Mat, Five Stars" is now available in the anthology The Monsters Next Door!

It's a humorous but tragic story of a couple who unknowingly move into a community of vampires.

The story is told through online product reviews left by the main character, Lucy Morris (named after my two favorite Dracula characters who deserved better).

I think that format gave me a unique opportunity to build suspense because I have so much control over what information the readers have. There's no dialogue, there's no descriptions of the neighborhood, the story is pieced together just with the details Lucy inadvertently gives in her reviews.

I had a lot of fun writing it, because I didn't know where it was going at first. I only knew there was a welcome mat at the beginning and a mirror at the end, and I had to work out how to get from one to the other, and then go back and fill in the foreshadowing to make it make sense.

I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment