Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Space Opera Libretti author interview: Minerva Cerridwen

Good afternoon. This is your co-captain of the good ship Space Opera Libretti speaking. Thank you for bearing with us with our recent delay. Our goal is still to invite one of our authors up to the cockpit every Monday to discuss their story available now in Space Opera Libretti. However, when traveling through space and time, one faces many challenges. One of these challenges is apparently remembering that Monday exists. I think we took a detour, ended up with two Sundays in a row.
But never fear. Brian has taken over the controls and says I can have them back when I remember how to use a calendar!
Until then, let's hear from Minerva Cerridwen, author of Stars From The Stars! I've been in several anthologies with Minerva in the past, and the future, and we were delighted


In 10 words or less, how would you describe your story?
The Universe's Got Talent. Or most of it, anyway...

What was the inspiration for this story? Be as brief or detailed as you want.
I thought it would be fun to write about a siren who's really bad at the one thing sirens are all, according to Greek mythology, really good at. And then to put that siren in a talent show in space. As I was watching a bunch of shows for more inspiration, I really started noticing how often they use variations of the phrase: "You've got what it takes to be a star." And that's how Stars from the Stars happened.

If your story had a theme song, what would it be?
Something like, but not quite, the Britain's Got Talent intro jingle.

Tell me a little bit about yourself.
I'm Minerva, a queer writer and pharmacist from Belgium. My first language is Dutch. 
I used to play the piano, but in the past few years I haven't really found time for it. I love movie soundtracks and musicals, and tend to randomly burst into song in daily life—if not too many people are around to hear it. Currently, my favourite music is probably the Good Omens soundtrack and everything Queen.

What was the last book you read? Did you like it?
I'm currently reading Five Minutes at Hotel Stormcove, edited by E.D.E. Bell, and I'm liking it very much. The Hotel has such a pleasant atmosphere. And of course this anthology has some very good writers in it. ;)

Do you have anything you want to promote? Other stories or books, your Etsy shop, a cool video you found online of dancing llamas that you think the world needs to see?
You can find my other published works here on my website! They range from steampunk Sherlock Holmes over horror poetry to fantasy flash fiction and sweet queer fairy tales.
I've got an upcoming publication in Neon Horror Zine, an anthology of brightly coloured LGBTQIA+ horror stories, comics, and artworks. And I'll also have a story in Community of Magic Pens, a collection of kind and hopeful stories about pens, from Atthis Artsedited bySpace Opera Libretti author E.D.E. Bell! You can preorder Community of Magic Pens here.

[Jen‘s note: I also have a story in Community of Magic Pens!]




Minerva Cerridwen is a Belgian writer and pharmacist. She has short stories in the anthologies Unburied Fables and Love & Bubbles. Her first novella The Dragon of Ynys came out in 2018. For updates on her newest projects, check out her
website http://minervacerridwen.wordpress.com/ or follow her on Twitter (@minerva_cerr). 



Each story in Space Opera Libretti is accompanied by a title page, which I made with free clipart and a design program. Here is Minerva's

No comments:

Post a Comment