Thursday, May 27, 2021

Don Queerxote

I am very happy to announce that my story Don Queerxote is available to read for free online at HyphenPunk

I love a good modern or futuristic retelling of a classic story. I especially love writing them without actually reading the classic story I am writing about. Just going on my knowledge of Wishbone, Wikipedia plot summaries, and They Might Be Giants songs, and writing a very gay version of Don Quixote.

Did I write this just because the name Don Queerxote made me giggle? Yes. Yes I did.

This story is a little different than the other times I've done this, because one of the characters is very aware of the plot similarities between what is happening and the book her friend is supposed to be reading for school.

The original book is about a man who has read too many stories about adventures and romance, and he believes he is living out one of those stories. My main character has read too much fanfiction, and she believes everything around her is a classic fanfic trope.

The only problem is, she might be right.


Don Queerxote contains


Slightly solarpunk inspired future

Several They Might Be Giants references

She's gonna fight the wind turbine company in the hopes of impressing a girl she thinks she's in love with

Owls!

It's very gay

Pretending to be girlfriends

Now we have to fight City Hall

Shipping!

A discussion about Miguel Cervantes never using the "and there was only one bed" trope


I've been trying to get this story published for years. Publication after publication said they liked it but it wasn't for them… I think it got about 10 rejections before finally finding a good home.

No comments:

Post a Comment