Monday, September 11, 2017

I Don't Suck at Public Speaking!

I went to sit in on a presentation today at ARC, to watch someone talk to new employees about disability so I can give the presentation sometime.

Small group; six or seven people. The speaker ended up being my neighbor Marni! She showed some old home movies and video of her wedding, and answered questions about her life.

And then she excused herself to go to the bathroom, and I was asked to take over.


What.

No.

I am not prepared.

How do I make words come out of my face.


But then the blankness went away, and I learned that I don't completely suck at public speaking! Anxiety came in the pauses where no one was talking, which is generally how it is with me. I only get anxious when I'm not currently busy. I like to say I'm great in a crisis but will be freaking out every second until the actual crisis.


I'll probably be doing something again in October (this time prepared for speaking!). And on Wednesday I have a phone interview about going to speak to "a large number" of medical professionals.

My first question will be "define 'large number.'" :D

1 comment: