Thursday, September 28, 2017

Recap of My Talk at the Hospital

On Tuesday, I went to Bassett Hospital in Cooperstown to be part of a Schwartz Round conversation about disability. It was myself, another woman in a wheelchair, and a man with crutches. (And I was introduced to so many people that day, but instantly forgot every name.)

We were in an auditorium. Technically handicapped accessible but with a steeeeep ramp.

I'd guess about 50 people came - doctors, nurses, security guards... All of them were incredibly nice, except for one lady.

She reached into my personal space to shake my hand, even though I wasn't offering it and actually said "No." When I explained that it could hurt me to be grabbed like that, she responded with a disgusting amount of pity, with her head tilted to the side (when I called her on it, she claimed that's just how she is with people, which was clearly proven false a minute later when she talked to abled people with her head perfectly upright).

I think she was important, and I think she said more things to me, but here's a tip for everyone - when the first interaction you have with someone is to disrespect them and lie, you lose standing really fast. I honestly don't know what she said after the head tilt.

Okay, but here's the best part. We started our speeches, supposed to be an introduction and some of the issues we have as people with disabilities at the doctor's, and the guy next to me mentions my incident with the lady! I saw her tense up and everything, and I felt so supported by my community that I had the confidence to direct my entire speech directly at her.

Maybe it was rude of me? I really don't care. She started it.

I don't know if we made a difference. I sincerely hope we did and will start seeing improvements in the way we're treated.

But I learned that I don't love public speaking. I don't hate it, but I kind of thought I might enjoy it, seeing as how I love writing speeches for all of my characters. Not so much. There was no anxiety, but no "omg, this is my calling!!" either.

It was... extremely fine.

 

Oh, and everyone there was talking about pets and it reminded me: I don't think I've introduced y'all to my new fishy!

 
 
 

This is Neutrino. He's much more orange in real life, and is the most active betta I've ever had. So friendly, too (except for towards the camera, which is why he's flaring)! He keeps trying to befriend the cat, but the cat is old and not interested in young whippersnappers.

Neutrino lives in a big tank that I bought with money I earned from publishing The Falling Marionette on Expanded Horizons. That just makes me feel so proud. I'm actually earning enough money to house a living thing. (The tank was on sale for 22 dollars, so it's still not a lot, but that's beside the point.)

2 comments:

  1. It's ironic that you mentioned the story The Falling Marionette as it mentions head tilting individuals. Fiction isn't that far from fact.

    ReplyDelete