Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Oil & Ivory

In the grand tradition of Jennifer Lee Rossman, I have written a story based on a piece of media I have never actually consumed. Usually it's books. This time, it's the movie Ferngully: The last rain forest.

All right, technically I have seen Ferngully. Just… not since I was like seven. I did not remember the plot, the characters. Anything really except it was about the environment. So when the good folks at World Weaver Press, the closest thing I have to a publishing family, put out a submission call for Solarpunk Winters, a companion book to Solarpunk Summers, of course my first idea was "ferngully with narwhals."

You know narwhals. Like whales, but colder and with unicorn horns?

There's going to be a whole blog post on the WWP site about how I got from that note to my eventual story, so I will link to that when it goes live.

My story, Oil And Ivory, takes place during the annual narwhal migration. A polyamorous and your family in a futuristic Greenland is tasked with guiding the whales safely under the ice, which has been made thicker by climate change. If they don't help the whales find air holes, they will suffocate. But this year brings a new challenge: an oil spill threatening to poison the ocean.

Can they work together with the oil company to save both the whales and the ocean?

Solarpunk Winters is now available in paperback and e-book. https://www.worldweaverpress.com/store/p169/Glass_and_Gardens%3A_Solarpunk_Winters.html

4 comments: