Monday, January 20, 2020

Third rule is: don’t talk to aliens

 When I told my mother that I had a story accepted in an anthology about punk rock, she said “ first the bicycle anthology, now punk rock. So you’re just writing about stuff you have absolutely Zero experience with?“

 She had a point. I know a little bit about punk rock, but it is not my music.  I didn’t grow up with it, I don’t have any particular interest in it, and I really didn’t  understand the entire subculture around it.  But  I had an idea for a story and once I began researching punk rock, I realize that, even if I did not grow up listening to the music, the whole idea of it is something that really speaks to me.

A Punk Rock Future is a science-fiction anthology with a punk rock aesthetic. My story, Third Rule  Is: Don't Talk To Aliens, is about a radio DJ faced with an alien invasion. She can't stop it (or can she?), but she can play one last song to comfort earth.

My story was inspired by a dream I had where that world was ending and the entire population of earth got together to sing Rainbow Connection. It's a very short story, but there are much longer stories in the anthology and I greatly enjoyed it.

https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781733775007

No comments:

Post a Comment