Thursday, January 11, 2018

Anachronism Acknowledgments

My time travel novella Anachronism is coming out in a few months with Kristell Ink, and I just sent in the final version of the acknowledgments.

And at the last possible minute, I realized I was misspellings the name of a doctor I've been seeing since I was three. *covers face in shame* I fixed it though, so no one tell him, okay?

 

It's a fun kind of stress, trying to figure out who to thank for helping me get published, and I've undoubtedly forgot someone.

One of the things I'm thanking my friends for is for teaching me not to pull a Dumbledore on Petra's sexual orientation, and I'm not sure that's a phrase everyone knows.

After the last Harry Potter book came out, JK Rowling announced that Dumbledore was gay, and people got upset because it didn't feel like good representation. If a character is gay, the readers should know during the story, not be told in an afterthought, "Oh by the way..." kind of thing.

My main character is gay. In the original drafts, I hinted at it and it influenced a major plot point, but I didn't say it outright.

But it's important for me to be a good member of the LGBTQIA community, and that means having the best possible rep I can. So Petra is now officially gay within I think the first chapter, and I have to thank all my writer friends for helping me realize how important that is.

 

Are you a published author? Who would you thank if you got a book published?

No comments:

Post a Comment