Monday, October 1, 2018

FreakShow Character Introduction: Jack Jetstark

Every Monday from now until December 3rd, I'm introducing a character from my debut novel, Jack Jetstark's Intergalactic FreakShow! Today's character is...

 

Jack Jetstark!

 


Jack is the main character of the novel, as well as the owner of one of the last carnival ships still roaming the stars. He's a hopeless romantic who wants to show people the wonders of space, wonders that he himself only dreamed of seeing as a child on the poor, swampy moon of Stoval. Though he only talks about relationships with women, he is also attracted to men and identifies as bi.

 

Jack is a self-described freak, a descendant of people who were genetically engineered to have superhuman abilities when they hear a certain song. His powers are firebreathing and, it can be argued, the ability to always say the right thing at the right time.

 

Most of my characters were inspired by lyrics from American Pie, and Jack is no exception "Jack Flash sat on a candlestick 'cause fire is the devil's only friend" gave him both his ability and his first name. His family name comes from the name of two James Dean characters: Jett Rink and Jim Stark.

 

While writing this book, I accidentally drew a lot of parallels between Jack and Han Solo, so my "dream casting" for Jack would be a young Harrison Ford. Or possibly Norman Reedus from The Walking Dead, but that may just be because they both wear vests and know someone named Merle.

 

Preorder here and add it on Goodreads!

 

Come back next Monday to meet Merulo, Jack's first mate!


1 comment:

  1. I just finished my arc of Jack Jetstark's Intergalactic Freakshow and I love Jack. He's a flawed complicated character. I hope we get a sequel in the future because I would love to read more of his story. 💖

    ReplyDelete