Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Camp Cretaceous Season Two!

You may remember late last year when I cried because Den of Geek asked me to watch Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous before the rest of the world and write an article about it for them.

They've done it again for season two. And I cried again, but for a different reason.

For this season, I got to write three articles. And that just blows my mind on its own. I am a fiction writer. I never liked writing essays in school. But get me subject I'm passionate about and apparently I love to write nonfiction.

When you write fiction, unless someone has specifically asked you to write something for them, you're kind of… writing in a void. It’s hard to know if anyone will like it, or if you should go in this direction or that direction, and then there's submitting. And yeah, you study publications as much as possible to make sure they are a good fit for your story, but good stories get rejected all the time and it's a waiting game every time you send something out.

Writing articles for an entertainment venue is a totally different experience. I had more time this season, but last season, I think it was just a couple days turnaround. Got the request on Tuesday, technical problems ate up Wednesday, I spent all of Thursday watching four hours of the show and doing research and basically wrote the article in a caffeine filled hour Thursday night. The show came out Friday, my article came out Saturday I think?

It's fast and it's stressful and it is so much fun. I could never do it as a full time job because my brain only thrives on adrenaline to a certain point, but my god is it exciting once in a while.

So here are the three articles I wrote for this season. Of course, spoilers abound.


Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous Season Two Ending Explained

This is the first article they had me write. Still exciting because I got to watch a piece of Jurassic Park before most of the world, but not that different from the article I wrote last time.


Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous Season Three What To Expect

This is the third article. And yes, I'm going out of order for a reason. Being asked to predict what might happen if the show is renewed for a third season… I love fan theories, and I got to be among the first to share mine with the world, because the editors know that I know what I'm talking about. There are obviously people who know the Jurassic Park franchise better than me, but I'm knowledgeable enough to be allowed to share that knowledge and my opinions. I just think that's amazing.


Camp Cretaceous Reveals The Real Monsters Of Jurassic Park

This is the one that made me cry. The editor I work with asked me to let him know if there was anything else about the second season I could write about. I rambled in his inbox about the entire franchise and how every movie and show depicts dinosaurs differently as you go through them because the real monsters are the people.

And he gave me the go ahead. And suddenly I wasn't just writing about this show, I was writing about the movies that made me who I am. And I cried because the things I write about in this article, and everything else the movies taught me that filled the gaps in my DNA, I wouldn't be here, able to write this article, without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment