Tuesday, March 2, 2021

The Real Jurassic Park Was The Gender Dysphoria We Felt Along The Way

My writing process:

Hey, there's an anthology of body horror. I don't know what that is, but I suddenly decided I need to be good at it.

[several hours of googling]

Still not super sure I understand this genre, but that's never stopped me before. The Fly is body horror. What if I did The Fly… but with dinosaurs? Just combine two separate Jeff Goldblum movies and pretend it's a good idea. Ha ha I am so funny. Clearly I am not going to do that.

OK but what if I did. And I added gender dysphoria metaphors. And I called it The Real Jurassic Park Was The Gender Dysphoria We Felt Along The Way. Ha ha I am so funny. Clearly that is not going to be the real title.

OK but what if it was.


I think I was too preoccupied with whether I could name a story The Real Jurassic Park Was The Gender Dysphoria We Felt Along The Way and didn't stop to think if I should. Which is a recurring reference in my story.

Look. I make a lot of references to things in my stories. Jurassic Park especially. Sometimes I'm more subtle about it, but with a story that has a title like that? I just went for it.

It is a story about people who are turning themselves into dinosaurs, and it goes horribly wrong when the main character find themselves turning into the wrong kind of dinosaur. It is The Fly but with dinosaurs, and the main character just kind of acknowledges that.

The Real Jurassic Park Was The Gender Dysphoria We Felt Along The Way is available in the e-book Twisted Anatomy. All proceeds go to the Pulmonary Hypertension Association and the National Domestic Abuse Hotline.

No comments:

Post a Comment