Thursday, June 2, 2022

Maiasaura Deifaeria

 Hey, do you want to cry about dinosaurs!? Then do I have a story for you! Maiasaura Deifaeria is now available in Luna Station Quarterly!

So, full disclosure: this story breaks my rule about not killing off animal characters. I am comfortable breaking that rule in this instance for two reasons:

*While she is a dinosaur, the story depicts her and her godmother as having very human like intelligence and emotions. They may have different views of the world and their place in it because they are dinosaurs, but in a story sense, they serve the same purpose as human characters. It isn't like I am killing off a character's pet just for shock value, I am writing about the death of a character who happens to also be a dinosaur.

*Her death is not a surprise, nor is it used just to make another character sad. This is a story about grief and moving on, and while Asha is alive in flashbacks and her death is not described on the page, we know she is dead before we ever meet her.

Maiasaura Deifaeria (that’s "dinosaur fairy godmother" in Latin, at least to the best of my abilities) is about a fairy godmother triceratops who never got a chance to grant her last hatchling's wish before they went extinct, and she has not been able to move on from her grief for 65 million years.

It's sad and it's hopeful, and it references the real life Bone Wars, which led to some amazing discoveries and also undoubtedly caused the destruction of invaluable fossil specimens.

Because that's the way life is, isn't it? Nothing is ever all good or all bad, and bad people do good things and good people make bad decision sometimes. But you can't wait around for something to magically change, you just have to do your best with what you have and hope it's enough.

This is one of my favorite stories I've ever written and it has a ridiculous concept and serious emotions and I just… I love it, and I hope you will, too.

1 comment:

  1. just read it, and I absolutely adore this story! Brilliant!!!!

    ReplyDelete