Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Review: Time Salvager

Time Salvager Time Salvager by Wesley Chu
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

(Hello, people reading this on my blog. I think I finally figured out how to sync my Goodreads account with my blog so I don't have to copy and paste everything.)

More like 2.5 stars, but I'll round up.
I wanted to like this book so much more than I did. Time travel, cool technological doodads that give you basically superpowers, conspiracies, SPACE...
In the future, time travelers go back in time to collect things that they can use as energy. I think. I don't know if it's not fully explained or if I just didn't get it. Anyway. James is tired of watching people die, and he saves a scientist from the disaster he's salvaging, bringing her to a future where her beloved Earth has become a toxic wasteland. This is extremely against the rules and the company he works for will execute the both of them if they're caught. Except suddenly, they want the scientist alive.
Which is all very well and good and exciting, except I just couldn't get into it.
James is a jerk who just wants to drink and be miserable, which is completely understandable given his life but is also a bummer to read. (Very technical literary term, "bummer".) Elise is at least an adorable bright spot.
I found that I didn't care about the bad guys' storyline at all, but as a writer I get how that was a good way to convey the information that the other characters didn't know.
The story was never boring enough to make me want to stop reading. It was just a slow read that sounded much better on the jacket, and I'm excited to be able to read something else.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment