Monday, November 5, 2018

FreakShow Character Introduction: Cara

Every Monday from now until December 3rd, I'm introducing a character from my debut novel, Jack Jetstark's Intergalactic FreakShow! Today's character is...

 

Cara!

 


Cara joins Jack's crew early on in the book, and quickly finds her place on the ship as a mechanic. She's a young redhead who runs away to join the carnival, and is possibly the sweetest character in the whole book.

 

Cara is a freak, a descendant of people who were genetically engineered to have superhuman abilities when they hear a certain song. She can speak to electronics, and performs in the show as a cyborg.

 

I'm afraid of spoiling some important plot points if I tell you too much of Cara's backstory, so I'll tell you about my inspiration for her instead. Most of my characters were inspired by lyrics from American Pie, but Cara is the exception. Technically, Cara is short for Carabidae, a type of beetle (Beatle), but that's where the inspiration ends because Cara predates American Pie's influence on my plot.

Before Jack was a firebreather, before the music died, back when Jack Jetstark's Intergalactic FreakShow was just called "Freak Show"... there was a little redheaded girl who ran away to join a space carnival. That's right, this book was originally Cara's story. From a certain point of view, it still is, but saying any more would be ruining a whole bunch of surprises.

 

I'm not hip to who all the newfangled young actors are nowadays, but I imagine Cara as looking like a young Karen Gillam.

 

Preorder here and add it on Goodreads!

 

Come back next Monday to meet the Rubeno Mardo (the ship totally counts as a character)!


No comments:

Post a Comment