Friday, November 30, 2018

The Good, the Bad, and the Utahraptor is Published!





Jurassic Park is my favorite movie, has been ever since I was five. Yes, I was way too young to watch it. I don't know what my parents were thinking, but other movies I loved at that age include Tremors and Jaws, so... clearly I was not a normal child.

But back to Jurassic Park. I love dinosaurs. Like, I was that annoying kid who wouldn't play with a plastic allosaurus because it had the wrong number of toes. So a movie where they eat people? Fun!

I practically wore out my VHS, I can still quote large chunks of the movie, and I think Dr. Malcolm might have been my first crush. On second thought, it might have been Princess Jasmine. My point is, I loved the movie and its sequels.

 

However, being a dino-nerd, I knew it was not without its faults, especially regarding my beloved raptors.

For one thing, real velociraptors were the size of turkeys. The big ones like in the movies are more similar to utahraptors or deinonychuses. They also had feathers, damnit.

But I gave the movies a pass because we were only just discovering feathers when the first movie was made, and while they did discover utahraptor during production (if I remember correctly), the idea of a larger raptor had already been proposed in the scientific community and they thought it would be a subspecies of velociraptor. So, fine. I accepted it.

 

Then they announced Jurassic World.

Yes! A chance to correct their mistakes!

[insert disappointed sigh here]

Look. I love these movies with all my heart, but they made three mistakes with the new movies:

1. Wrong species of dinosaur

2. No feathers

3. Chris Pratt did not ride a raptor like it was a pony

 

Yeah, okay, maybe that last one isn't a scientific inaccuracy, but it was definitely a mistake, and I have taken it upon myself to correct these errors. So, without further ado, I would like to proudly present my dinosaur western, free to read and listen to on Cast of Wonders...

 

The Good, the Bad, and the Utahraptor

(narration by Sandra Espinoza)
http://www.castofwonders.org/2018/11/cast-of-wonders-332-dinovember-the-good-the-bad-and-the-utahraptor/

No comments:

Post a Comment