Saturday, September 10, 2016

My Review of Circuits & Slippers

It's slowly dawning on me that I'm really going to be a published author.

I've received an advanced reader copy of Circuits & Slippers!

*happy dance*

I'll write up a full review for Goodreads once I get the chance to read all of the stories, but here's my impression of the book based on what I've read so far.

 

Twenty authors, twenty sci-fi retellings of your favorite fairy tales, one really awesome book.

Editor Jaylee James has assembled an amazing collection of stories here. From the first tale, Slumbering Hill by Diana Dubas, I felt transported to exciting new worlds full of "star stories".

The stories play with the narrative of the classic tales in imaginative new ways: Marie Piper's take on Red Riding Hood's "What big eyes you have" scene was brilliant, and Prina and the Pea by Leandra Wallace put an interesting twist on why there were so many mattresses on that bed.

Jaylee put a lot of work into this book, (as evidenced by the awesome detail where the scene breaks look like bits of circuitry!) and while I'm so incredibly honored to be part of it, I'm pretty sure I would be in love with this book even if I wasn't in it.

It's the kind of book I wish I had as a teenager, when I didn't realize it was okay to tell amazingly bizarre stories about sci-fi princesses.

(Circuits & Slippers will be available in paperback and electronic on September 29. Add it to your To Read list on Goodreads!)

1 comment:

  1. Awww! I'm so glad you like it so far! :D It has been so much fun picking out the stories and reading through them several times in edits. (Sometimes I would get caught up re-reading the stories I'd have to go back several times to try and actually EDIT haha)

    ReplyDelete