Sunday, August 20, 2017

Review: Stitching Snow

Stitching Snow Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I do love sci-fi fairy tale retellings. And bumbling robots. And robots that swear.
I didn't realize I loved girl cage fighters and military propaganda, but apparently I do.

You'd think a book based on a story we all know so well couldn't surprise you. BUT YOU WOULD BE WRONG.
There were so many little twists on the original tale while still keeping to the basic formula. I knew there would be a poison apple, a footsman who helps fake her death, a magical no-more-coma kiss... but the way these details were executed and stitched into the elaborate world and plot make it a delight to read.

I love Essie. The way she doesn't like to be touched but doesn't let that stop her from getting physical in the cage. It's unfortunate that that attitude comes from sexual abuse, which I wish I'd been aware of earlier in the book. Even with that subject matter, it was handled well and wasn't explicit in any way. Even the foulmouthed robot Cusser doesn't use any real curses on the page.

All in all, a fun and magical romp through a lot of heavy feelings.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment